Thursday, 2 February 2012

FIGHT!

I was recently mulling over using a slightly weightier system than FU or Danger Patrol for running a solo Musketeers-style game based on The Cardinal's Blades by Pierre Pevel (I highly recommend the books).

So I decided to take a look at the possibilities:

Advanced Heroquest
Barbarians of Lemuria
Cartoon Action Hour
D6 (or Mini6)
Fate 2
Fate 3
Flashing Blades
Fudge
GURPS
Pendragon

Advanced Heroquest
This is a system I love, and as it is very combat orientated (because it's a dungeon delving boardgame's system) I know it can handle that aspect.

Barbarians of Lemuria
In my opinion a lacklustre system coupled with an intriguing careers/skill substitution (I might just nick for AHQ).

Cartoon Action Hour
This I like but a lot of the work is up front setting up the series etc. plus it hits the wrong tone for what I am aiming for. If I was running it for the kids Dogtanian here I come!

D6/Mini6
I like this in its Star Wars incarnation, but rolling that many dice in one and having to add them all up just puts me off.

Fate 2
A really like this, was my system of choice before FU came along. I'd need to gather a skill list but this is a real possibility.

Fate 3
I know many people love this, but to me it adds unnecessary complexity. About the only thing I do like is the introduction of Consequences. I could use the Fate 3 skill list with 2, mmm.

Flashing Blades
I've never actually played the system but it seems to hark back to 'the old days' with disparate rules for different situations. The background information is vital so I'll definitely use that but the system? Unfortunately, no. On the other hand the skill list is pretty good and broad, maybe worth stealing.

Fudge
I like Fudge, it's simple and malleable. The only trouble is I wouldn't use it 'as written' (many people don't believe such a thing exists), and therefore this involves time tinkering. Wouldn't I be better just sticking with Fate 2?

GURPS
Way too complicated for what I want, sure I'll steal the setting info from Swashbucklers, but that's it.

Pendragon
An intriguing one this. Every since I saw Pendragon I thought it'd make a great swashbuckling system. I haven't played this in years though so it'd take some reading to get back up to speed, plus I might have to dial down the lethality somewhat, Pendragon has the generational aspect to ensure continued play. Still, something to consider.

So what I have, say, 3 systems in the running, plus my current standby FU and maybe Les Danger Corps. So how do I choose?

In the immortal words of Harry Hill - FIGHT!

The only way to really decide is run the same scenario for all the systems, it needs to include some different elements for lone skill checks, a ranged fire opportunity and multiple opponents to really test the systems' suitability for high swashbuckling action. This is what I have come up with:

While returning to Paris with an important message Pierre hears a female scream (or should do), he rides to investigate and sees two or three bandits harrasing a young women. He should ride in, take a pot shot at one of them, leaving two to fight (hence two or three).

This should be fairly standard stuff for the game in mind so I'd expect Pierre to win, maybe with a little difficulty, but triumph he should. I'll post the individual results here as I get the chance to play them.

Until next time Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment