Friday, 2 August 2013

Life, the Universe and Everything - April to July!

OK, so in my last post I said life had seriously steam rollered me and my spare time, which it really has.

I am now emerging just as things get hectic for the summer, school holidays, which mean family holidays etc.

So what have I achieved?

Obviously not a lot. However spurred on by my own postings I have written a pretty thorough skeleton guide to a role-playing with kids document. If I had the time I'd love to get it written up, however as always I've not.

I also got to game with my kids, I tried out a few games and found a definite favourite, and that was Fate. I messed around with the ladder and seriously cut back on the Fate 3 rules (could almost say they are Fate 2.5) but the kids had great fun with a wacky spy-fi adventure, and a game I named 'The Queen's Musketeers'.

Not had time to return it yet but seriously intend to.

Looking at my last catch up post Steinhoff seems to have wandered off somewhere. I'm not sure I'll get to him soon either!

Also very recently I've had a large-ish order (for me anyway) arrive from Ground Zero Games of 15mm near future urban-ites, and actually printed off some Fat Dragon Games road tiles (need to base these still). Just need to settle on a system.

So, what are my plans (long term as well as August)? In no particular order:

Write a novel
I have approximately 14 books/book series planned and would love for one of them to take off even slightly. Mostly children books, but some harder stuff in there too. Not really done anything on these though.

Write a kids RPG
The week I finished my skeleton write up I discovered Fate Accelerated Edition! I feel my guide would be a great way to introduce kids to role-playing and have designed quite a bit just for first time kids, which I think FAE lacks, but still, my sails went slack I can tell you. Safe to say this is on a back burner for a while.

Write my skirmish rules
These are currently a hodge podge of various rulesets, THW's reaction system mostly with The Department/Goalsystem and possibly some Gunstorm, all mixed with Advanced Heroquest and it's d12 based system. It needs serious thought though and is something I hope to blog about in the future.

Actually game myself!
Of course I should also be trying to game myself, especially as I distilled my system, as detailed what seems like a lifetime ago now.

I have a number of possible games here too, Steinhoff (a Conan-esque Risus comedy game), Risus Redshirts (a Star Trek redshirts comedy game with added random death table), a detective style game and/or a patrol cop game, plus whatever else pops into my head.

Game with my kids
I need to get them together and have some fun, whatever form it is in. Ultimately, this one will be the trump card in the coming weeks, but if I can steer them I might be able to pick up on the Queen's Musketeers, Secret Show or something else currently unforseen.

Of course that mention of unforseen also applies to a great deal of many other things. I just need to focus.

I'm away on holiday next week which means I should be able to have a go at a solo game (gf allowing!) or tinker with my skirmish rules (on a theoretical level)

Until next time Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment