Friday, 10 January 2014

Life, the Universe and Everything - November to January

OK, so I missed the seemingly obligatory Happy New Year/Christmas post, but aside from that what have I been getting up to?

I think the answer to that must be - procrastinating!

Which reminds me of one of those funny de-motivational posters that get banded about every once in a while, something along the lines of "Procrastination - It's like m*******tion, at first it feels good, but in the end you realised you've just f***ed yourself"

Anyway back on track, I've thought of starting a few things in the recent months, but have not found the energy or wit to actually do anything beyond theorising.

So I thought I'd use this post to see exactly what is stopping me. The main culprits are:

Energy - I mentioned it above, at the end of a work day I just don't feel I can summon the energy to game. However I know this is a falacy as I go and play football (soccer to some of you) one night a week, I just need to knuckle down.

Random tables - another of my favoured procrastination techniques is to decide I need the perfect random tables for story generation.

Accoutrements - I feel whatever paraphenalia I have has to be to hand before I can start, creating a barrier to play right at the start.

Shiny complex - I just cannot settle down enough to one train of thought. One minute it is cyberpunk-y cops, the next it is swashbuckling musketeers. The muse simply cannot remain long enough to overcome the above two problems, and it exacerbates the preparation problem.

So what can I do about them?

I need to accept that the conditions will never be perfect.

I need to realise that the energy is there, and that, if it is anything, it is just a slight evening/post eating slump which I can kick myself out of.

I never will have a random table that gives me exactly the results I want. I need to accept what I have or concoct the tables now so they are available later.

I need to be prepared with the real minimum of equipment ready to hand in a moments notice. If I have to collect things from four places, that is too much.

If I can streamline my gaming and preparation this should mean that the muse can descend and I will be ready for it.

Of the above I feel I know the answers to them apart from the random tables. What should I do there?

At this point I think I will follow this up in my next post, so as not to drag this post out.

Until next time Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment